Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Reality

Ever have one of those moments when reality hits you in the face?

That happened to me yesterday when I had my taxes done. Let me preface by saying that I am not against the idea of taxation. If you don't know I am {and always have been} a civics junkie. Like my Dad got me a copy of The O'Riley Factor book for a Christmas present when I was still in high school. I took extra history classes in HS {just for fun} and majored in History the first time in college {political science was always my fav!}

With all that said, I am completely astounded at the changes that have taken place in our country over the past few years. I am a good example of how our country encourages folks to better themselves, go to college, move up in the world - and then penalize them for doing so.

I don't even care about that. I want good roads, schools, protection, infrastructure in general and I don't mind pitching in my fair share. I made "slightly" more money this year than I did last year while Justin remained about the same. However, when I had our taxes filled-out, we got less back from the FED and had to pay MORE to the silly State of Alabama. I was a bit puzzled. Again, this is NOT about the fact that we have to pay taxes, it is the stupidity and level at which we are taxed.

Did you know that due to recent changes from the federal government that employers may NOT be deducting the maximum amount from your pay check even though you may have marked for them to at an earlier date. The lady who filled out my taxes told me to check on this. When I looked on my W2 I could tell that there was not as much deducted as I was used to.

Also, if you live in Alabama, the states with a Constitution containing 1000 amendments, you had to count your 2008 return as income. Again, I knew this, but the more I think about it, the MADDER I get!!! Think about it... I got a return because I OVERPAID my taxes in the first place. Now, call me crazy, but if I underpaid the IRS or decided not to pay on time, they would lock me up {or slap me with bigger fines!!} I think that the IRS should pay me INTEREST on the OVERPAYMENT that spent without my permission. What kinda crazies do we have in Montgomery/DC anyway?!?!?!?

Anyway, I decided to be raw and honest this this post. You may not care. That is fine. You may think I am WRONG. That is fine too. I just had to get this off my chest!

No comments: