Wednesday, April 14, 2010

"Child Training"

With all of the recent debates about parenting methods and advice, I was thankful to read today's post over At The Well.

"And I’m realizing that “child training” has been equated with spanking or the use of “the rod”–and that is quite unfortunate. Instead, child training should be understood as the process by which we impart to our children not only the practical skills they will need upon emancipation, but the spiritual as well. As Christian parents, we want our children to embrace the truth of the Gospel and grow in a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ. “Child training” is just a small (but vital) part of that equation."

This is only a small excerpt from the post. I hope you will jump over to The Well and check out the whole thing.

I am a spanker. It is an approach that has worked with my children. They know what "spank-able" offenses are {them being ages 4 and 5.5} As they have grown over the past two years or so, spankings have become less and less. Now, my children know that certain behaviors toward myself, each other, our home {like Sawyer writing on the dinning room wall}, or to others will bring spankings. Often, if I see these behaviors starting, I can remind the children that would be a choice that would result in a spanking and that THEY are in charge of (1) making the choice and (2) obtaining the reward/consequence that follows.

That being said, we do not spank for everything! Sometimes setting in silence or doing someone else's chore works better. For us, "training up our children in the way they should go is so much bigger than spanking...even than behavior. What I know is that I must help them to become people who (1) God is pleased with (2) who can function to the height of their ability in society and (3) can be happy and healthy adults.

Anyway, this post just struck a cord with me. I don't care if people spank their kids or not, really. I do not think they are lazy, loose, or uncaring parents if they do not. But I have been told one two many times that I am hard, or unrealistic with the expectations I set for my kids. Can't we just all respect each other!?!? Right Kimberly:)

1 comment:

Phillips Family said...

Mmmmmm hmmmmm; right on honey! It is amazing how vocal people become once children are involved.