Tuesday, April 6, 2010

My Children...

I realized that I have been more photos and less talk lately. You may not care. In fact, might prefer that I hush and give you some cutie pie kids {and animals} to look at.

But, this blog is for me. My therapy as an overworked, under-appreciated, well loved, BLESSED, and happy woman. So here goes...an update {probably too long} of my life.

My husband is the bomb!! Have I told you lately? He has always been awesome, but over the last few years he has really grown into the type of hubby that the Bible describes. Never taking me for granted {and apologizing when he does:} He has stopped complaining about the house being a mess, and instead decided to support me either by helping or keeping his mouth shut! :) He is a wonderful father who is very active in the lives of our kids. I don't just mean like stealing Sawyer away for an afternoon of exploration at the creek {yesterday afternoon} but more important things like listening to the kids, praying with them, lots of praise and lots of loving! He is my MAN :)

Then there are my kids. Amazing. That is the word that describes them. I have been thinking a lot about why they act the way they do {both good and bad.} I always get so many comments of "they are so smart" or " they are so well behaved." I began to reflect on just why it was this way. They are smart, maybe too smart. For example,

Carys had 50 million {no exaggeration here} questions about the "Easter Bunny." From "how does he open the door?" to "If he is real, they how does he carry the baskets?" I mean come on kid. Can't you just "believe" something?

I thought about just telling her the "truth." I mean, that has been my philosophy with her all along. But I knew that with their lovely {truly} inductive reasoning abilities {the ability to grasp a general concept from a specific set of facts, i.e. there is no Easter Bunny therefore Santa and the Tooth Fairy must not be real either.} would come back to bite me. I mean, she has fun with those and is that not the whole point!

So, Justin and I talked and decided to tell the kids that this would probably be the last year the Easter Bunny would visit them since they were growing up to be such big kids and all. We told them and paused and waited for the fall-out...would their be tears? wailing? But no.

Sawyer proudly said, "That is okay, Easter is not about all that candy stuff anyway and you and Daddy can still get us something. Right?"

Then came the tears, but not from the kids; from ME! I knew in this moment how truly blessed I was. We followed up with a discussion about how incredibly special the holidays of Christmas and Easter were to us as Believers. They were cool with it, and so was I.

Whoa these kids....I LOVE them truly!!

No comments: