Monday, November 16, 2009

Weekly Post - Relying on God - not ourselves

Gathering At the Well

____________________________________________________________________
This is the scripture today~ At the Well!

Our society as a whole is always in pursuit of more. More stuff. More money. More clothing. More food. More, more, more. When is enough enough? When will we be satisfied with what we have been given? We are going to spend today looking at how God, because He is El Shaddai, the All-Sufficient One, is all we will ever need.

Read 2 Corinthians 12:7-10:
7) And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. 8) Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. 9) And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10) Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

2 Corinthians 12:7-10, NKJV
The All-Sufficient One
_____________________________________________________________________
For discussion:

In what areas of your life are you not allowing God to be your Soul Provider, the All-Sufficient One? What problems do you need to hand over to Him? Do you find yourself in a place of weakness right now? Is your soul thirsty?

First, I would like to say that I love this topic. I suppose because God placed cancer in our lives He put is in a position to minister to those who are dealing with life situations that with out the love of Christ, seem dismal. So, I have spent a lot of time (on my on behalf) reading about how God intents for us to rely on Him during all phases of our lives -good and bad.

Perspective - is everything to a Christian. We should be thankful that when God the Father looks upon us He views us through the blood of Jesus. In this same manner, when we look upon life's various phases, we should view everything - every situation - with Him as our Lord (leader.)

In verse 7 above, Paul admits that the affliction he is dealing with has purpose from God's perspective. It was to keep Paul humble. Try and look at life circumstances from God's point of view. Seek to find the purpose is whatever you are dealing with. Where will you find these answers? Prayer and God's Word is where we find the evidenced of God's unchanging character and therefore where we will find purpose. Look in Verse 9 - God answered Paul's cries for help. God clearly revealed the reason for his affliction. "My strength is made perfect in weakness."

God needs us to be willing to step aside - push our plans aside - and let Him take control. If we believe that he in fact has the best plan for our lives, what would stop us from letting Him guide us through these times?

Verse 10 is my favorite ...10) Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
Amen! I believe that finding a way to take pleasure in our infirmities (which can be anything that is weighing us down) that is a mark of spiritual maturity.

People still look at me funny when I talk about what a blessing it has been for our family to go though dealing with childhood cancer - but I is so true. God has worked miracles - true miracles - in front of our eyes. He has taught us to depend solely on Him for our every physical, emotional, and spiritual need.

There are some questions at the top of this post from At the Well... I think they serve as a great measuring stick for us to see to what degree we are allowing God to be El Shaddai - all sufficient. Think about what stresses you? Have you given that up to Him? I believe that if it worries you, you are still holding on to it. Read, Pray, and reflect over this topic today.

~God Bless~

2 comments:

Joyfull said...

Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing through your life experiences that God has a plan and it is best. What a beautiful and powerful testimony your family is. God bless.

Jenifer said...

Alison, thanks for joining us At the Well today and for sharing part of your journey with us.

God works all things for His good and for His glory. Even those painful things in our lives, like childhood cancer, can be used as a testimony to His greatness. Our perspective during these times is so very important- a perspective of knowing and accepting His plan as bigger and greater than our own.

Praying for you and your precious family. May God continue to bless you all.

Jenifer