Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wasted Grace...


I was listening to the Christan station WDJC the other day, and I heard a pastor say "Don't waste your Grace."

So, I began to think about what this meant. I am completely clear that I am in no danger of running out of God's grace, so there must be some other implications.

I was so inspired by this phrase, that I knew God had something for me to study and write about. This is sort of a mixture of several thoughts, so I hope it makes so since to you.

1) God's grace is not like fuel. Some make this comparison because it is what keeps us going from day-to-day. However, here is where the analogy falls short...We put a certain about of gas in our car, if we do not put more in there, we will eventually run out. This is NOT how God's grace works! His Grace is Sufficient! That means always there, always ready, always able to see us through. He does not just give us a certain amount and that is it!

2) Grace is like fuel. Think about it. If you sit in your driveway with your car idling or drive around town for no reason, what happens to your fuel??? IT IS WASTED. Therefore, we try to make the most out of the trips we make so that we can get the most out of our fuel! How do you think God feels about the grace He gives us. When looks down and sees us just idling... not really working for Him, not really going anywhere, just idling. I think He might feel like we are WASTING HIS GRACE!! He gave it to us because He loves us and wants to see us put it to good use. If you get in your car and go to the store, buy groceries, pay bills, and return home you have accomplished something with your fuel...

What does it look like to accomplish something with God's grace??? Here are a FEW things I think of... We can use God's grace to...

1) lead others to know Christ as Savior
2) make choices that honor God
3) overcome sin and satan's influence
4) grow Fruit of the Spirit
5) cultivate Fruit in others

These are just a few... take a little time during your day and ask yourself:

AM I WASTING GOD'S GRACE??

No comments: