Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Teaching The Narrow Way



Matthew 7:13-14
13
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

This is a portion of scripture that the preacher used at our revival last night. This was not his message, but I heard loud and clear what God wanted me to know about this. I guess you could say I received a double-blessing because God sent me Brother Shannon's message and this one!

As you know I take the verse "pray without ceasing"(1 Thessalonians 5:17) to heart particularly in the area of parenthood. I KNOW that my biggest mission field God has given me is my children. When I think about ways to live out scripture in front of them, it is not always easy. However, I can see through God's Word how this path can lead to the greatest blessing. Consider Hannah, she devoted her parenting to God's will as she returned Samuel to the prophet for training as soon as he had stopped nursing. How proud she must have been to be his mother. her devotion to God's will was very rewarding.

So, when I reflect upon this portion of Jesus' sermon: "broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it." - it makes me think. These are the things that you do NOT have to teach kids. Sin nature is born into each of us. Yes, my precious children are sinners. I do not have to teach them how to break the Ten Commandments. They are born knowing how to do that. You do not have to teach the way that leads to destruction - many will go that way on their on.

But, Jesus did not stop there. He then said," Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it." This is what I have to teach my kids; the narrow way. And because I am not perfect. I cannot fully teach them this way, but can only lead them to it. I cannot take them "through the gate" that leads to Christ and eternal life - they must find it. But I CAN lead them there by my actions and making choices that please God.

Jesus goes on in Matthew 7 to talk about bearing good fruit. I believe this is the way that I can lead my children to the narrow gate. If they see my joy, happiness, and true excitement about following Jesus they will seek to find - and hopefully enter into - the narrow way.

So, I must set out to bear good fruit in my life and be excited about doing right even when it might not lead to earthly gains - because what are they anyway!

No comments: