Monday, October 12, 2009

"D-Day"

Okay, this post is going to be interesting. I cannot promise that it will flow or even make since as I have still not quite wrapped my mind around the subject.

Today, 10/12/09 is the two year anniversary of Carys's diagnosis.

I will NEVER forget that day...the date, the events, or the outcome.

I don't want to leave the impression that this date is met every year with a sort of dread, but certainly with mixed emotions. I mean, its over, right? Who can ever really tell? But yet, I have this indescribable feeling in my gut that Carys's cancer battle has ended forever! (Praise God!)

When I look at her, it is so hard to believe where she has been. Emotionally, she dealt with this better than a lot of kids we know. Physically, she could not be more perfect. Sure, she has minor issues and we never know what is around the bend, but just look at her!Have you ever seen anything more beautiful in your entire life?!? I have not!

I guess my apprehension begins when I think about how our lives were changed on that day. Was it for the worst or the better? I also think about the friends we met along the way. The other evidences of God's Almighty hand at work in so many ways. Some of them (Like Hannah Grace Harrison, Alex Swadder, Carolyn Thompson, Carly Parker and MANY more) join Carys in the "off-treatment" catagory and are living breathing examples of God's healing power. Others (like Alexis Gilley, Jackson Leach, Trevor Moultrie, Kristyn Pruitt and MANY more) are still undergoing treatments to make SURE the beast is gone.

And then there is another group (two particularly) that I cannot get off my mind today. The Heavenly Suvivors! Most notibly in my mind *because I knew them both* Megan Brittian and Tucker Beam. Today, to remember the impact that CANCER has had on our lives, I am gonna tell you about one of these heroes.

Megan Brittian - literally, the FIRST child I ever talked to with cancer. Carys was diagnosed on Friday night, the next day the B'Ham Zoo put on a presentation in the lobby with some cool animals. I sat in the kiddie chairs with Carys to watch. A bright-eyed ball-headed girl came and sat down beside us. She looked at Carys and saw her room number on her braclet. "Is she in 4-tower(oncology floor)?" Megan asked. I knew what she wanted to know, "Yes," I replied, "She has just been diagnosed." I remember the excitment in Megan's eyes. I know this sounds kinda crazy, but I now know that it was excitement over having a "buddy." Someone to play with and teach the ropes of the hospital and such.

I learned a lot from Megan that day. She told me some stuff about clinic and 4 tower that I thought I would not need to know based on Carys' FIRST treatment plan. But, as God would have it, I did need to know that stuff and I just remember thinking, God sent her to me! Again, as God would have it Megan was a patient of Dr. Haines. So, we became Friday clinic buddies. She helped Carys learn how to charm and get stuff from the nurses of Clinic 8 - I still think of her when Carys asks for extra band-aids or such from them! We watched Megan fight her battle like a true hero. I never remember seeing her when she was not smiling or playing a pratical joke on someone! She taught us that life after diagnosis did not have to be all "doom and gloom!" If you have seen that attitutde in us, happy and upbeat, and wondered where it came from... Well, I know God sent her to us, but it was MEGAN who taught us how to Praise Him in our storm!!

Soon, I learned that Megan's mother had already moved to Heaven after fighting breast cancer for years. Today, I picture Megan and her mom, in heaven getting ready for worship! Maybe they are combing eachother's hair!!!! I bet she is beautiful there! I know God is proud of her. The most important thing God taught me was about faith. I should KNOW that this life is temperary and when you find yourself in the place where Megan and Carys were, there are only TWO options. Realize you have cancer and continue to Praise God or realize you have cancer and be sad. What is the point in the second? There are also two options of the outcome IF you are a Christiain...1) be healed on earth or 2) be healed in heaven...BOTH OF WHICH ARE GOOD! Megan, we miss you but are SO glad that you are there with Jesus and your Mom! We cannot wait to see you again!

1 comment:

Kelli Hodges said...

I am so excited to see how well Carys is doing. Praise God!!! I have been following your journal entries at Caring Bridge for exactly 2 years now. Today is my daughter's 2nd birthday. She was born on the day your daughter was diagnosed with cancer. I learned about Carys from my aunt who lives in Centreville. She called to tell me about your sweet little girl and wanted us to start praying for her. We did and still are. I just wanted you to know that I have enjoyed reading your entries and blogs more than you'll know. You have taught me a lot about trusting in God...especially when it comes to my children. Thank you!!!