Monday, April 6, 2009

Easter and New Clothes

I had a friend this week make a comment when I mentioned going shopping for Carys a new Easter dress. The comments included remarks about traditions and what buying and wearing new clothes had anything to do with Easter. As you all know I am not just one to brush off what people say. I think God puts people in front of us to give us messages or to make us think.

So, I did some praying/reflecting on the subject. Was I teaching Carys that the most important thing about Easter was a new dress??? Then it hit me. Just like a Christmas when we exchange gifts in rememberance of Christ being the ultimate "gift" there is a symbolic reason for buying new clothes for Easter Sunday....

You see, new clothes can serve as a reminder to us what Christ actually did for us on the cross. He gave himself, for us, so that we might find New Life! That is what the clothes represent > New Life!

I want to be certain that my children know that the most IMPORTANT thing in my life (and inturn their lives) is pleasing God with our lives so that others might come to know him.

Maybe you could mention to your kiddos that they are wearing their new or fancy clothes on Sunday to honor Jesus Christ and the sacrifice He made to give us New Life!

3 comments:

Nikki Christian said...

I totally agree...I think sometimes we get lost in the traditions and forget about the true meanings. Great way to explain the new clothes...I'll file that in my memory bank! ;-)

0 said...

I agree ... I love reading your blog just for inspirations such as this! Thank you!! And HAPPY EASTER!!

Unknown said...

When I was about 10 years old, we stopped getting new clothes for Easter. My mom decided that we should forgo the new clothes and shoes because she wanted us to
focus on the true meaning of Easter and not get wrapped up in the commercial part of the holiday.