Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Crazy English Lanugage!

I am happy that we speak English, but who came up with all the rules. Better yet, what about all of the exceptions!!

When I took congnitive pshychology and child developmental, my favorite part of these classes was language development. It is simply AMAZING how kids learn language. So much of it is learned through what they hear. Rules that we learn formally in school often we already know in practice.

When I first starting dating Justin, Mr. Phil used to pick at me about my "smarts." He would ask me to tell him all of the verb tenses for "to skin" (like to skin a deer.) He always said they were skin, skank, and skunk! You may laugh at that becuase he KNOWS he is crazy!

Seems that this quality for comming up with crazy verb tenses in hereditary. The following are TRUE stories...

(1) We were eating Easter supper with the Cottinghams and cousin Ashton was picking on Sawyer. Sawyer reached over and hit him and told him to stop. Carys calls out from the table, "Momma, Sawyer just spunk (meaning spanked) Ashton!!"

(2) Carys has a Barbie Jeep. Sawyer, being a boy, is much more skilled at driving around the yard than she is. So, when she drove it all the way home from MawMaw Shirley's house the other day she proudly announced "Momma, I drooved the Barbie Jeep all by myself!"

Well, it is a crazy language anyway!!

No comments: