Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Faith of a Child

Have I mentioned lately how totally in LOVE I am recently? With God, with Justin, and with my Children. It is a wonderful place to be in. A place I have never truly been before. I mean, I have know awesome love, it just that at this moment in time...everything is as it should be...almost perfect. I have taken it as a moment of "rest" {provided by God of course} for me to suit up for the next challenge around the bend. I am not sure what it will be, but I must take advantage of this time of peace and rest. Some of you are thinking, "why and in the world would she think like that?" And I understand. I pray this period of peace last forever, but here is my logic.

God is the leading force in my life. If I am working as hard as I can for His Kingdom {and making progress} satan must be close by waiting to try and knock me off my high-horse. But guess what?!? I am not on a high-horse. He {satan} will be in for a big surprise when he comes to cause trouble and sees that on the solid rock I stand! So, I am loving this period of peace and using it to grow in grace and truth, just in case:)

The title of this posts came from a recent happening with my almost-four-year-old son. We make a really big deal in our family over birthday's. I mean what could be a better time to make sure that my family knows that I love them and celebrate the day they were born and where they are in life at that moment.

So this year, we were at a crossroad with Sawyer. First, we have lots of family and friends who are accustomed to big "family" parties. And honestly, I like throwing these types of parties. But Sawyer {who gets this from his mommy} is a very social person. He loves to be with his friends from school. So he asked for a "friends" party. I was really concerned about being "plugged-in" to our guest at the family party if we had ten 4-year-olds there as well. So, I decided on two parties.

This has been a great idea except it has led to confusion on Sawyer's part as to when is birthday is. He loves to mark the calendar for events, so we did that. So, he came up to me this last Saturday and the following ensued.

Sawyer: Momma, I really, really want my birthday to be today.

Me: Sawyer, I'm sorry but this is one of those things you have to be patient for.

Sawyer: {with a sad look on his face} Aw...Okay.

Then he sat down in the floor, closed his eyes and began to pray. When he was finished, he popped up and said

Sawyer: Guess what I just did?

Me: What?

Sawyer: I just prayed and asked Jesus to make today my birthday.

Me: Oh you did? Well, I really think Jesus would be happy with you if you asked him to give you patience to wait until it is your birthday. I don't think he is gonna skip all those days just so that you can get your presents early. Don't you think?

Sawyer: No, momma. I know God can do ANYTHING because He does miracles. Don't you know when I'm sick He makes me better.

Me: {thinking how I should respond} Yes, I know He CAN do anything, but even when God does really great stuff for us, He still likes us to be patience. Remember, that is one of the Fruit of the Spirit that shows others that we love/trust God. Think about when Carys was sick. God made her better, but we had to wait for the medicine to work before she was better.

Sawyer: {thinking very deeply} Okay, I will try really hard to be patient, but I still want my birthday to be today!

Oh the faith of a child. He really believed that God is willing do help us. To make our lives more positive. There is a lot that we can learn from Sawyer's faith. He saw no reason why God, who loves him so much, would hesitate to answer his prayer. We should follow this pattern when praying for the needs we have and the souls of our friends and family!

~God Bless~

No comments: