Monday, July 5, 2010

Becoming Everything to Everyone...Paul's Challenge

1 Corinthians 9:19-23

19
Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

This was part of our text for our Sunday School Lesson last week. It spoke to me so much and the challenge that Paul's words presents was very real to me.

In the preceding verses, Paul was explaining to the Christians at Corinth that although many things were permissible for them to do or take part in, not all things were profitable to them or for those around them. Just because you can do something, does not mean that you should do it.

As I prayed over these verses, I realized the greater truth that God was speaking for my life. I think that too often I am too concerned about what "I want to do." I often stop to consider if the action or thought is allowed by God. Because I have claimed the redeeming blood of Christ, there are lots of things that I can do. Lots of things that might not effect my relationship with Christ. However, this scripture reminds me that often my actions and thoughts impact others who are either lost or less mature in their Christian walk. If my actions present some sort of stumbling block for them, even though it might not be "wrong" I should not do it.

In this verse, Paul reminds us that he becomes all things to all people. This does not mean that he changes who he is or changes the rules he lives by when he is around various people. It does mean that he is prayerfully aware of the needs of others. He constantly keeps his eyes on the prize of winning others to Christ and by doing so puts himself, his wants, aside to become what other people need in order to show, to live, the love of Christ to them.

I had to stop and ponder on this for a while. Maybe you can ask yourself the same questions I asked myself...


Am I putting my wants above those of others and their spiritual needs?

In what ways am I becoming all things to the people who most need the love of Christ {the Lost}?

Is the focus of my life making me happy or following through with the Great Commission.?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said. Your words on this passage are inspirational and thought provoking. Thanks

Anonymous said...

At Paul in his own words was being hypocritical and, one might say, dishonest.

Without doubt St Paul was a charlatan. If not he was badly deluded.

Jesus was sent by God to the lost sheep of Israel. St Paul gave up being a Jew to saw the seeds of anti-Semitism which has hounded "Christina" relations with the Jews.

St Paul brought into HIS religion by HIS Gospel the pagan concept of the trinity got from the Greeks philosophers who learned it from the Egyptians.

If you have sense and know that Jesus was a prophet as he said it himself when his family came for him thinking he was out of his mind THEN you better take stock get rid of St Paul's paganism. The doctrine of three gods in one is as absurd as anything can me. calling it a mystery is stupid. God does not generate confusion (much less stupidity).

Jesus did not teach Christianity. He did not start a religion with himself at its center. That was done by a man who gave up his own religion and successfully suppressed disciples of Jesus. St Paul was NOT a disciple of Jesus whom he never met or knew. Jesus had come for the "Jews" and his mission was complete. John 17:4