Monday, May 11, 2009

Converstaions with Carys

Sometimes it is so hard for me to remember how old Carys is. Much of the time her verbal skills and ability to reason, remember and retain info baffles me. I know that God certainly has great things in store for her.

There are moments in time when you know that everything you have experience and every place you have been prepares you for the task before you. So often people compartmentalize their lives to the point that work, family, and faith become the separate "compartments." I pray God helps me to not let this happen. (I digress!) Had had one of these AH...HA... moments this weekend. When I knew that everything God had taught me led up to this moment, this task.

Carys asked, "Momma, when Jesus came to earth, who was in charge in heaven?" As a Bible teacher/student I know that explaining the Holy Trinity can be challenging as it is complete God-Phenomenon. How then could I expect to explain the supernatural to a four-year-old in a way that would satisfy her quest for understanding without confusing her.

I quickly recalled an illustration that I learned while preparing to teach a bible lesson when I worked at CCA. My friend Scott Davis, Jr. used the analogy of an Egg to describe the three persons of God. All three parts (shell, yolk, white) are undenyable egg. But yet they each have a specific name and function. One however, would have not purpose without the other. The same is true for the Godhead. And, how was I to know that all these years later, my child would be so familiar with eggs that this would be the PERFECT example for her.

Later that night she asked, "If I were to go to heaven before you or Daddy, I think I might be scared." Certainly, the idea of her going before me is something I pray not to experience, EVER! But, we will let God handle that! We talked about the people we know who are already there, Poppa Bob, Grandaddy Cottingham, Ms. Betty. Then I looked into her innocent face and said, " You know, the BEST part is that Jesus will be there." Just like it was CHRISTmas morning, her eyes lit up! She assured me that with Him there, she would be okay!

Oh how God used that little girl to give me the best Mother's Day gift. Assurence that even though I get tired and wonder if anyone notices all the work I put in, that I have succeded! The fact that my little girl gets excited about seeing Jesus is confirmation enough for me that it is ALL worth the labor~

Please pray for Carys. I feel that she is very near to understanding her need for Christ. I have prayed for the moment that she would accept Christ as savior since I was pregnant with her. This will happen in HIS perfect time, but please pray for her (and Sawyer.)

~It is well... with my soul!~

No comments: