Thursday, May 14, 2009

Pictures from Cottingham "Farms!"

This is one of the latest additions to the Cottingham Chicken Cottage! This week we acquired 15 new chickens. They are former show chickens and are Dutch Bantams. They are BEAUTIFUL! They look like little statues. We have lots of roosters and will be selling some. If you are interested, let me know!

This is Big Daddy. If you read a description of Australorps it will say they have extra large combs and waddles. Well, here you go! He has the most awesome crow!
This is one of my 5 "teenagers!" I got them on my birthday in Feb. I have two Barred Rocks. They are about 1/2 mature so I call them Teens! They stick together when they go out to forage. I cannot wait to see thier eggs!

Another Teen here. I have three of these New Hampshire Reds that will begin laying in July.

This is one of our Black Australorp hens. They are wonderful layers. I remember when Justin ordered them thinking I was sad becuase they would be black. But they have turned into the most beautiful hens and their feathers gleam in the sun with hints of green. Oh, and their eggs are tasty too!


I call this chick JR. I believe that he is a cockarel (boy) his comb and face are already turning red. I could be wrong, another couple of weeks will tell. I have nine of these sweeties. They lay decent sized eggs for bantams which are small chickens. If you would like to add some to your flock, or start a flock, they are for sale!


Three week old Bobwhite quail. You can see how fast they grow. You can also see a d'uccle chick in there with them. This one says with the quail most of the time. I think "she" thinks she is a quail!


This is Pretty Momma. She was our "gift" exotic chick that McMurray sent us. Please let us know if you think you know what kind she is. She lays a darker egg than our New Hampshire Reds or Australorps.


We just received our new egg cartons in the mail. This is the first dozen to be put in the new container. I hope you will let me know if you would like to buy some eggs. I will deliver!

The darker egg is from the hen pictured above.


This is my first flower bloom from seeds of the season. I planted these with the cilantro and chives because the packet said you could eat them with salad. Not sure if we are brave enough to try them or not. They are supposed to have a peppery taste.


Just another week, Living 4 Him!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes!! Definitely try the nasturium leaves/flowers in a salad....They *are* peppery, so just try a few and cut them up kinda small. Try salad burnet, too--tastes just like cucumber...Hafta keep my kid out of it when it comes up around here!